Newton Gravity/Saukony Kinvara comparison run

So recently I test drove 2 pair of shoes
Newton Gravity-

And Saukony Kinvara-

I knew there would be a learning curve to both

Please note that this blip on my blog is not scientific
I'm a feeler, more than a thinker
So this is how I feel about these shoes
Also, I'm somewhat of a novice runner
One year and a couple thousand miles under my belt
Still so much to learn...

So here goes my 2 cents

1st run was in the Newtons.
To be honest,
I loved them

and

I hated them.

*I loved them for their happy color
  I know true runners really only care about fit
  haha--- but this 'true' runner loves color
*I also loved that the toe box was forgiving
  meaning it had give in it allowing for that wicked wide foot of mine
*I also loved how sturdy and solid they felt without being too clunky
  I'm a bit of a klutz, and these felt like they could handle it

Laced and out the door
Ready to discover the Newton magic

But found that first run less than expected in the sparkle department
I've never had a run where the shoe became the main focus
This first Newton run was just that
It's like the shoes were screaming at me to give them attention
First it was that bar...
I was keenly aware that one of my feet was longer than the other...
The bar seemed to be in two different spots on each foot

Then the tongue placement
It was as if the seaming attaching the tongue to shoe was right at pinkie toe cleavage point
(i know that sounds weird, but couldn't think of any other way to describe it)

I stopped 4 times during that first run to adjust the laces on my shoes

It was a bit frustrating, to say the least.

I will say, that first run, the only positive thing I noticed was that hills were crazy manageable.

Both uphill and down, I felt more in control than on other runs in the past.

But with so many other negative issues, I felt the Newtons would be out.

The only thing that kept me from flat returning them after that first run,
was the workshop with the Newton rep I'd been to the week before.
He stressed over and over the need to run in the shoes -
More than once
Run for small increments
Run run run in them,
Before judging them

Newton typically has a 30 day return policy
But he upped that policy to 60 for me to have the confidence to try them.
60 days of marathon training mileage.....no strings attached?
Sold.

But after my first Newton run
I found myself
Headed back to Brown's, my favorite running shoe store,
To pick up the Kinvaras





They asked how the Newtons were
I said
"Interesting"

And left it at that.

Kinvaras
were immediately laced up  and out I went
My first thought of these guys was
"Holy light shoe batman!"
Then
"How in the world will these hold up to my antics?"
*The material on the upper feels a bit paper thin
*The sole, cushy and amazingly soft,
*Amazingly soft
*Amazingly soft
 They were white (which I've been known to turn my nose up to)
 But I have to admit
 A cool white, very trendy and non-geriatric
 (Always a plus for a slow runner)

They were golden, and I was on my way to starting a 'hip to go white' trend
That first run was magical
*I loved them
The triangles on the bottom made a sticky sound/ and feel
*Almost as if it were gripping the road

*Uphills were good
Down hills rolling

I think I found my shoe...

The test would be in the mileage.

And to be fair- Newtons would go too.

*******************************************

Saturday's run came
I would run 4 or 5 in the Newtons
4-5 in the Kinvaras

Because I favored the Kinvaras,
I had them going last
After all, they were lighter, and I felt I would best appreciate it at the end.

I braced myself for the adjustment trauma, bar and lacing etc I expected with the Newtons
But
To my surprise,
After mile 1 or even less than that,
Those factors melted away

I was running in these shoes
Loving it.

The only way I could describe the Newtons is: 'energy return'

Usually when I talk of a shoe, I use words like 'responsive' 'cushioned' or some other term we like to use to describe your typical shoe feel.

This was definitely different.
It had the best of both worlds
both stiff and supportive, with something else that propelled me on...
Energy return.....
I ran on pavement,
gravel
a track
sand
concrete





crazy shoes did it all

ran through a wet spot from sprinkler over spray....maybe a bit sketchy... but nothing treacherous
It was time to let the Kinvaras shine
Back to my car,
A quick shoe wardrobe change.
No malfunctions, I might add.
Kinvaras felt amazing.
so light
so free.
And then I began to run
hmmm
I ran the same route.
Now granted, I think these are a bit more minimal than the Newtons....
But I really felt a struggle to get them to "go"
Maybe it was a placebo-- the whole 'bar' thingy on those Newtons....
I was floored
The Kinvaras made me feel the work.
As if there wasn't enough oomph in the toe.
Soon I was noticing my arch was strained a bit....
and then the wind flat came out of my sail....
I was surprised....
I thought these were my shoe.
But I found myself wanting to put back on those Newtons.


So I did.




The next day I brought those beautiful Kinvaras back to Browns
They took them back with a smile...
Knowing they'd found me the right shoe for me
And THAT is the beautiful thing
A shoe is personal
Just because I like Newtons
Doesn't mean you will
A shoe store full of  only the latest fad,
Does not a runner serve
You may be an Asics Gel Nibus, Nike Pegasus, Brooks Pure Flow, kind of runner
You name it....
It doesn't matter what color or brand you wear
What matters is you find that shoe that works for you- TODAY
So you can run tomorrow....






Run on my friends
Run on-
And don't forget to tell me how it went.

Comments

Unknown said…
They sure were beautiful shoes. I didn't know it mattered so much about the shoe. I used to walk quite a bit. Maybe that's why my feet are so messed up!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

13.1 Montage

It's happening

Stretch