Stash & Dash 12






3:29am
That when I started my run today-

Why so early?
Had to- my goal was 12, and at a 13-15 minute pace, my run time would be 3 hours. By 6:30 this Cinderella turns into a pumpkin- I mean-mommy and has to get hubby and kiddos out the door.

Like last night, I was indifferent, the run was like work you had to do- it felt weird.

Headphones- check
I pod- check
Snacks- check
Camelback- Check

I was mildly intrigued by this last piece of gear, it was new- and new means fun- right?




So off we go- Out the door, the warm-up walk begins-

WHAT'S THAT SOUND??!!

This sound can only be described as the sound you hear when your tummy's sick, but your mom pumps you chock full of fluids and pepto anyway.

Soon all you hear is a gurgle of a sound that says bad things are coming-

That is what my camelback had in mind as entertainment and conversation today-

Oh no, no, no- that is not going to work,

That- glug, glug, glug, glug, glug, with every step would NOT accompany me twelve long miles.

Had to stash it.

Into the college it would be- I would stash and dash-





Lay aside every weight suddenly had new meaning-

Soon I was back on track free to just run-

Ran to the high school-

Hopped the gate closing off the campus-

Ran full circle. It's quiet. Just how I like it.

The loop is complete, I'm rounding the last corner, when- BAM---- just like that this huge dog starts lunging and barking and tearing toward me-

From behind a fence-
bwahahahHa you can't get me!

Holy hallelujah, that gave me a scare-

Hop back over the barrier, down towards the street-
When- BAM----- a skunk

Ok, so it wasn't 'Bam' worthy-- skunks remind me of lady bugs, they wander zig zag style, unsure of where it is they really want to go. Kind of ditzy if you asked me--- but so good at striking fear in runners!

Skunk averted, back on track toward the street- when-BAM----- crazy Cream-Land milk truck comes careening around the corner towards me-

Really? Is this how it's going to be today? I was only on mile 3!

Keep on running-

It's humid- really humid- in a cold and clammy way. My glasses are fogging up- I have sweat dripping from my chin.

I make it to mile 5- my first mental goal- open the pack of fruit snacks I brought, pop one, and realize that was a good choice. Take a snapshot.




It's time to hit the neighborhood... I run down sunset- music stops---

This happened the last time I ran down sunset!

What is this- the i pod bermuda triangle?

Check my miles- only half-way. 6 in silence, need something new-

Take a different street- it turns and winds in a comforting way- I'll take it again-

But Butler's next-
On my last long run I hit a wall on Butler I popped another fruit snack- fingers crossed-

Made it-

Shortcut through the college, grab my stashed camelback and head home-

I check my miles- I'm only at 10--- with what I have left I'll be a mile short- drat-

I think planning a run efficiently, is an art- and I am no artist-

There I am wandering up and down doing time-

-10.27
-10.68
-11.35

Really?

Argg- my energy is gone, my legs are gone, my fruit snacks are gone...

I needed an intervention,
That's when I saw the coolest thing-

On one side- the moon




On the other the sunrise-




That's all I needed-

Down and done!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments

Karalea said…
Love the moon and sunrise pics!! And you are seriously dedicated to get up that early to get your long run in! I remember you asking about running several months ago...and you weren't sure if you could do it. Now look at you...running 12 miles! I only ever got to 10 in my training before the half. You're doing great and I'm really proud of you!
Heather said…
Karalea- you were always so encouraging about even starting- thankyou for that!
Nancy said…
Finally read your blog.How wonderful to run along side you with your beautiful discriptions. The moon and sunrise-breathtaking. I will think of you running while I am also getting up at 3:15 am to begin my day. I love you. Keep up the race. Mom
Heather said…
I have a newfound respect for you and your early schedule!
Natalie said…
The water is a must. After you fill what you need, lay the bladder on the counter to force the air out. Close the bladder when the water comes to the very top. That will help keep the water from sloshing and making noise. :)
Heather said…
Natalie, I knew there had to be something else to those camelbacks! Thanks for the tip- you may have spared him! (he was getting ready to be returned)

So far my favorite hydration has been stashing a Capri Sun in my sports bra for mile 5! heehee

Popular posts from this blog

13.1 Montage

It's happening

Stretch