Trial Run

Oh the worry of a new shoe purchase-

You'd better not so much as take a pinky toe step on anything but carpet before you decide wether or not to keep those puppies-

But how will you know they 'work' until you do just that.

All day long yesterday I wore my new Brooks Cascadias, trying to get an idea of how they would remotely feel on a run.
I even secretly planned an early morning date with a treadmill- just to be sure.



But as the day wound down, something inside me wound up really wanting to do a trial run.

I knew they would work- couldn't wait-


Trying to get the kids situated for bed proved almost impossible.

I kept whispering, "let's try to hurry, mommy wants to do a quick run"- thinking surely that would motivate them- HAHA

My sweet honey, Ryan, must have heard the desperation in my voice, as I whispered in the other room, trying not to disturb him as he studied and worked, because out of nowhere he told me to go and hurry back.

YES!

There's something about having new shoes-

You feel invincible-

Fast-

Cute-? (I know that sounds dumb, but hey, it's a motivator for me!)

I ran with gusto up the hill out our neighborhood-

Holy cow, these shoes were different-

Oh my-

Had I made a mistake?

Each stride had me jerking- there was no smooth glide or anything remotely resembling a run going on.

What did I get myself into?

I tried to remember things I'd read, stuff I'd heard-
Tried to remember the little snippets of the conversation I'd had with Brown's, about the differences between my old Asics and my new Brooks.

Asics, more support, more 'stability'- heel strike

Brooks, lower heel ratio, mid foot strike-

That's what was happening- my gate was heavier on my heel- the Cascadia's were fighting back-

I shortened my stride, (very hard to do when your pace is on the slow side) and concentrated on a mid foot strike-

That did the trick-

The feeling was immediate- I would love these shoes-

I felt free to run-

It was the coolest thing ever-

It's going to take a few short runs to get things just right, and build up strength, but I have a feeling I'm on the verge of something really good.

Heading toward home, I felt like I could run forever- can't describe it-

Heard a honk hello from a passing truck-

Waved-
















- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments

Karalea said…
We need a picture of your new shoes!!! I LOVE my Brooks!

Popular posts from this blog

13.1 Montage

It's happening

Stretch