22 mile ~roller coaster~ you only lose when you quit trying

Saturday, August 8th

Last Saturday I ran 22 miles
Just typing that seems crazy to me

But this Friday I ran another 23- that's for another post

All I can say is, today I'm emotional and tired
**********************************
Last week
I thought I was on the road to being done

Severe arch and achilles pain

I knew it wasn't "life threatening"
Because it would go away around mile 2


An intervention was in order

Can I just say
KT tape is my new best friend















Heavens

I want to put it everywhere

As I got ready for 22,

Thoughts of the weeks training runs came to mind:
A 5 miler with Clare

A treadmill run that squeezed a few more miles in

A 10 miler that had me focusing on the mantra-
"I am calm"
I smirked as I remembered that run-
Raising my arms at the end of each mile like I was on some scary roller coaster












Do I lie and say I'm not scared,
Or be honest, embrace the fear...and raise my hands to show how tough I really am

Or finally give in to the urge, to just plain throw up















Yep, I'm there
Smack in the middle of the fatigue of marathon training.

You know, that moment
When you suddenly snap
And become a conspiracy theorist
Every one's against you
No one knows how you feel- this incredible fatigue and joy
Anticipation
Pride-
That no one seems to get
Or give a care
I know it's the miles...but
Oh man, roller coaster
*******************************
I will say this-
Hubby has been an amazing trouper
More of a cheerleader than ever before
Pom-poms look good on him.

And although I know he thinks I'm on the verge of insanity,
What with all the emotions and what-not
He tells me he's proud of me
I'd run a thousand miles for that
********************************

The run was a good one
Ran into a biker at 4:30-5am-ish
Heard his Huffy bike
*squeek*squeek* squeek*
As he came up behind me.

He's headed to work,
I deduced as we chatted for a moment
Then he was gone

first few miles flew by
I challenge myself to a CRAZY steep hill and win

Then suddenly it's mile 16
And I realize I'm beat
So beat
What's the point?

And there it is-
As if on cue...
Encouragement

First in sign quotes-
Wow- were they just what I needed.





































Then a text from Tennille
She finds out there's 22 on my plate
Now she's heading my way.

She seemed adamant about being there for this run

The next few miles taught me why
Why is anything over 20 so hard?
Will it always be this way?

I walked quite a bit in those last few miles.
But it's done, and I am alive to give you all the gorey details

Did I have the same 18 mile elation?
Hmmmm

No, not really

I felt like I just gave birth
Or had a bad case of 'pre-'flue nausea

legs were unhappy with me

I was unhappy with all that walking
But at the time it felt like it was all I had.

The elusive 22 is now behind me
Surely I should be happy with that.









Comments

kathrynellen said…
That barf picture is gross!
I wish I could meet you for those early runs. I am too wimpy to go out alone~! Last Sat I did 20 and could have used some company!
Heather said…
Isn't 20 insane!!!!
I am more in awe of this mileage than ever before.
Keep on keeping on!

Popular posts from this blog

13.1 Montage

It's happening

Stretch