Miserable Run, with some 'Glory Hallelujah' in the Middle

Monday, January 28th
 
Monday, Monday
How in the world did I survive you?
 
So tired this morning
Get hubby off to work
Then flounder with getting kids up and out
 
"Get in the car!"
"We're going to be late!"
"Get in the car!"
 
I yell in my cheeriest mom voice
 
Kids scramble
 
I rush
 
Sigh
 
We're slow but not late for school's start
 
Weather
 
Drippy rain
Wind
 
I round the corner to the school and see my sis-in-law Jen,
Running
 
Eeek!
So happy for her
 
I've got my running gear on too
Was thinking to treadmill it, on account of the rain
Maybe I should hurry, and try to catch up with her
 
Fling jeep doors open
To deposit kids at school
 
Discover Molls forgot to put on shoes
 
REALLY????
 
How do you forget shoes?
 
sigh
 
I do the math
18 minutes home
18minutes back
Oh wait
It's nasty out, and school zone lights flashing
 
40 minutes lost to shoe wrangling?
REALLY?
 
Being the 'think outside the box' mom that I am,
I sweetly ask Moll's kindergarten teacher if,
Just this once,
Shoes could be optional
 
Turns out she'd rather not set that precedence
Bummer
 
So I do what any decent running mother would do
I run upstairs to her older sister's class,
Grab my 6th grade daughter Kate's PE tennies
 
Then skillfully try to convince Moll's that '4 sizes too big' shoes are cool-
She was not convinced,
But saw my pleading eyes,
and acquiesced
 
 
Yippee!
Now I can run-
I head for home
 
Rain comes down
So cold
 
I see Jen off in the distance
Her run half done
 
 
Then up ahead
Stephanie and her hubby
Their run just begun
 
I make it home
Jeep in the garage,
Garmin on
Endomondo too
 
I'm off
And it's cold
 
The run feels exciting
I'm not alone
Even though I'm not running with friends
Friends are running, and that makes all the difference
 
Good thing too,
Because now, it's sleeting
Oh so cold
Miserable
 
I think about turning back for home
But I can't bring myself to it
 
I have a favorite 7-ish mile loop I told myself I'd do.
 
More wind and rain
Glad I wore my Cascadias
They can handle the wet
 
I reach the halfway mark
Lions Wilderness Park
 
And the lights come on
And by that, I mean sun
Oh the beauty of an overcast day, when the sun peeks out
Colors pop
Anyone can be a photographer
On a day like today-
 
I'm giddy as I jog and snap
Can't help myself but let the clock tick away
Look at the scrub brush bursting with color!
Took me 20 minutes to get through that glorious mile
Water droplets on wild broom bush
I don't care
A miserable run
With some 'glory hallelujah' in the middle?
 
Yes please
 
As I head toward home
Cold and wind return.
Tiny bits of hail
 
It's sound on the pavement
Like a tingling sensation
I loved it.
 
My legs ached
Tired and numb
 
Phone rings
Jen's checking to see if I need roadside assistance:
"It's hailing!" she informs me
"I'm almost done" I say,
Lest I cave and take her up on the tempting offer
 
 
Home
 
Warm
Happy



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

13.1 Montage

It's happening

Stretch