First 'post-half' Run- A perspective

Tuesday, March 20th

Today I ran for the first time after my first 1/2 marathon, just two short days ago.

I remember on Saturday, after finishing, feeling the fatigue, and wondering how long it would take me to recover.

I had planned a week 'off' thinking to walk some daily miles to pass the time.

But yesterday, as I photo copied my next training schedule- the butterflies in my stomach told me this renewed excitement for the sport should be put to good use.

Berg Park it would be.

I should have worn my Cascadias, but found myself grabbing my Ghosts.

I knew they'd feel honored I chose them again, after the hard work they helped me do on Saturday.

I slip them on,
They feel tired-
but there is an unspoken camaraderie between us now.
It feels good.

Jeep parked-
Warmup walk to the running path.

The park has a chill about it.
I chide myself for wearing short sleeves, and begin a motherly conversation about proper weather dressing.

And then I run-

It feels amazing.
It feels like home.

The first mile floats by
My time is quick, a 15 seconds faster than my usual 'quick' pace.

I wonder if I should throw caution to the wind and keep it up,
But decide a diversion is best.

I look with new eyes at this well-loved park of mine...

I notice how the arch of a tree, the structure of a bridge, frames the landscape beyond, making it seem magical, almost unattainable.




Running is like that.

You see a race, a pace, something you feel is so close, yet just put of reach-
Set it on a pedestal-
As if attaining it will bring you what you think is lacking in your life.

When really, it's just perspective.

Mile 2 down-

I think I'm going to like running this time around.... 29 weeks

My life measured by running charts.

I smile

Mile 3 complete

Done for today
My breath is heavy and full
Good things are just around the bend
Really good things


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

13.1 Montage

It's happening

Stretch