Just 2 moms out running.....

Yesterday had me needing to work on "speed" ---

Something about that silly word
Strikes fear
And butterfly excitement

Honest with myself
"Speed" and me
Shouldn't be breathed
In the same sentence

But honest with myself
Work must be done-
AND
Need help
Time to 'phone a friend'

BlueSkyGirl (aka Stephanie)
Answered the call

I chose a warm up run through
Lions wilderness-
Wanted to go in the back way to park

Which means driving past
Piedra Vista High School guard shack

I roll down my window
Try to ask the guard if that was OK
She's on the phone
Waves me in

We drive around the high school
To the back entrance of the park
Gate is closed

Great
Now what-
We park just outside
On the shoulder

I write a note
Put it under my windshield wiper
So as not to be towed
The guard DID hear me ask-
And DID
wave me in
Right?

In case you ever need to write
A 'please don't tow me'
Windshield wiper note-
It went something like this:
"We are just 2 moms out running-
Be back soon-
If you need us to move our cars
Call (505)xxx-xxxx"

I should have signed it ~
Love, WordQuota and BlueSkyGirl

But that would have
Made us sound famous
And we didn't want to
Be divas.

I'm noticing something
The last few times I've run
A group run

I say something like
"wow, I can't breath today"
Or
"Why am I so tired?"
Or
"Don't usually walk this soon..."

Some 'excuse' as to why
I need to catch my breath

Yesterday I pulled out the-
"Wow is the cold affecting you like it is me today?"

Then it dawned on me-
I have myself convinced it's just some fluke-
That today is somehow different
From my other runs

When in reality- mile 1 and 2
Must ALWAYS find me walking part of it-
Just never put two and two together it till now

We run through Lions Wilderness Park
Up up up the hill

And there they are
The mountains
So snowy today













This is where we will do our work
Road upon road ahead
Mountains cheering us on

I explain our ladder intervals
Like I'm the expert
The teacher in me
Knows just how they should be done
My theatrical side assumes I can actually pull it off

On your mark-get set-go!!!!!!!

First interval is 1 minute
I run like the wind
So fast

For all of about 15 seconds


Holy time standing still batman!!!!

1 minute seemed like eternity

Stephanie flew past


We were supposed to ladder
1 min
2 min
3 min
2 min
1 min
With jog recoveries in between

But I didn't have it in me

We sprinted 1 min with jog recoveries
5 times and called it good
The jog recoveries were so amazing
Like
Fancy ice cream at a birthday party
Relished doesn't begin to describe-

Oh,
Did I mention my
"Don't tow me" note
Worked
I got a call
Half way through our "ladders"
Seems they just wanted to know
How long we'd be out running

Finished off our run
With another easy 2 miles
We were done

Invited BlueSkyGirl over for coffee
But she was going shoe shopping

WHAT?
SHOE SHOPPING???????
Well yes, I do think I'll come with you!

Off to Brown's Shoe Fit
The best shoe store in town
(If I do say so myself)
My job title: ENABLER
NOW THIS I CAN DO!

30 minutes later,
She's lacing up a new pair of kicks

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Yep,
Just HAVE to try them out
We head off for a 'trial' run

Steph thinks they're grand
I do too~










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's happening

13.1 Montage

Stretch