Dreaming of a Walmart Christmas

Now I know why my friends are running an actual race.

It's not that they enjoy the thrill of a 3 hour drive.
Nor the expense of gas, food, lodging, entry fees.
(I figured it would take about $300 to get this race done- more, if family tags along)

After my run Saturday, I burst into the house, thrilled with my personal achievement, only to find that life doesn't stop just because you ran.

Family was hungry.
Laundry.
Ironing. (a week long request from my hubby that I'd been in denial about needing to do)
Vacuuming.

They tell you about a runner's high- but nothing about the low-
Coming down from that run was rough. I wanted to scream-
"don't you know I just ran 14.32 miles people!"
Lots of secret tears-

That is why a bona-fide race would make it so much better. You're surrounded by people who 'get it', and away from the responsibilities that are seemingly never done. It is ideal.

But I will most likely never run in one.

Why?

It is just not in me. I do not have the desire. I don't want the hubbub, the noise, the high-fives, the background noise of everyone faster or slower. The merchandising of a sport that was supposed to be no frills and inexpensive.

It's like what Walmart does to Christmas.

But now I get it. And secretly wish I had it in me.

But I also know how I am. Baby me or give me pity and I'm down for the count.


Cooking
Laundry
Ironing
Vacuuming
Life

Was exactly what I needed. It got my eyes off myself. It made me realize my kids needed me, my husband needed me, and being needed is pretty cool- even if I'd rather not have that job security at the moment.

Soreness left me.
Dull ache still there- but feels amazing.
Reminds me of what I've accomplished.

Reminds me I have some planning to do.

Think I'll go for a run--- keep you posted.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

13.1 Montage

It's happening

Stretch